5 Core Concepts of The Vibrant Method
When starting deep, significant changes to how we interact and relate to food, there are 5 Core Concepts that the Vibrant Method takes into account. These core principles, woven throughout all the elements, allow us to build a comprehensive plan that will result in the permanent changes you’re working towards. These are:
- 1. Bio-individuality – There are hundreds of diets available to choose from…and no one diet works for everyone. We will explore the different ways of eating in order to help you discover a personalized approach that is appropriate for your goals. This will take into account your age, health, activity level, access to certain foods, lifestyle goals, personal tastes, and preferences.
- 2. Primary Lifestyle Factors - We are nourished not only by food, but by other factors in our lives. Healthy relationships, regular physical activity, a fulfilling career, and a spiritual practice can and do impact your health, fill your soul, and satisfy your hunger for life.
- 3. Deconstructing Cravings – When your body is telling you it wants something – that’s not a bad thing! It’s your systems telling you that you need certain nutrients to bring your body back into homeostasis – or balance. We are going to explore what those cravings mean and how to reshape them into healthy responses.
- 4. Crowding Out - Most nutrition experts give their clients a list of foods to avoid, which explains why so many people are eventually turned off by nutritional changes to their diet. Rather than this negative approach, we’re going to work on “crowding out” some foods via the addition of more healthy choices to your diet. With time, cravings for more unhealthy foods will likely diminish.
- 5. Energetics of Food - All food has distinct qualities and energetic properties that affect your body depending on where, when, and how it’s grown and prepared. We will discuss how different foods and seasonal temperatures affect the way you naturally want to eat.
7 Key Elements of The Vibrant Method
Using the core concepts listed above – which are critical in developing a holistic approach to deep, lasting change – the Vibrant Method was developed. There are seven distinct elements of the plan we will be customizing for you to put into place now – and reap the results over the next six months. These key elements of The Vibrant Method are:
- 1. Identification – In order to work on your future, we need to examine where you’ve been, are now, and how you got here across a variety of different areas. We will be working with you to complete a comprehensive Health Assessment to identify your metabolic profile, dietary habits since childhood, current diet, preferred nutritional style, cooking habits, and emotional attachments to food. We will also explore what could be contributing to inflammation (which is probably a bigger issue than you realize!), blood sugar imbalance, digestion issues, your system being overloaded by toxins, a sluggish metabolism, and more. But this is not just an interview – there is great value resulting from a deep dive into this part of you. Most clients have found this element to be a powerfully emotional and hope-inspiring process, especially when you’re able to clearly define goals based on what we uncover together.
- 2. Crowding Out – This element is all about listening to your body and what it’s telling you it wants. We will help you understand and deconstruct what your body is trying to tell you, especially with respect to cravings. The body is more complex than we may think. When the body is craving sweets, chocolate, alcohol – it’s probably not making a mistake, yet we beat ourselves up after we over-indulge. Your body is trying to create a balance for something that’s out of sync in your system. We take a different approach to these strong desires. Rather than just trying to fight them off, we will develop an easy to follow plan, designed specifically around you, that will (over time) replace damaging foods with delicious and nutrient-dense foods. By taking this more positive approach, we avoid the common pitfalls of just trying to “white knuckle” your way through these changes. That approach tends to fail and create an entirely different set of problems that you then have to deal with. Why not do something that satisfies that craving and is good for you as well? You will learn to properly identify and feed your body the nutrients it’s asking for based on what your perceived cravings might be.
- 3. Implementation – Implementation is the element of the Vibrant Method where we help you to understand basic nutrition concepts at a different level than you probably do now - how you use food for both healing as well as nutrition. We help you start to understand how you can use food as a tool to increase your health levels as well as warding off some of the common diseases which, in a lot of cases, arise from an excess of toxic food consumption. Becoming aware of certain intolerances to families of food such as the pro-inflammatory nightshades - and how your eating habits, even with the best of intentions, could be interfering with your progress to the ideal you. Learning about the importance of things like water and herbal teas, which whole grains to increase consumption of versus needing to reduce, understanding how low glycemic fruit and new forms of protein will accelerate your progress towards achieving your objectives, and more.This isn't just about routine learning, though - this is also about how food can be fun! Being adventurous and exploring new foods as a pleasurable, social activity. Creating a rotation plan to not get burnt out and keeping them gratifying. Awakening your taste buds with new and exciting flavors via healthy, nutrient-dense meals. Ultimately, by making this process an easy and reliable habit, we create a “Get To” attitude, versus a “Got To”.
- 4. Preparation – Simple cooking for simple living: We are committed to transforming your relationship with cooking over the next 6 months and beyond. Consider this element your new “Culinary Adventure”. Cooking and eating are meant to be celebrated and thoroughly enjoyed! Otherwise you’ll stick to your old habits with no motivation to create new ones. You’ll feel empowered after your first new meal, and by the end of the program, you will be on your way to expertly creating healthy delicious meals in under 30 minutes. You’ll learn dishes that are simple to cook yet loaded with vital nourishing elements. Since you’re going to eat thousands of meals in your lifetime, you might as well get good at it – or improve how you do it…right? And in the process, you’ll crave the good stuff and start to love how you eat. This isn’t just about the mechanics of cooking, though. Learning how to cook a new and better way will get simpler over time, but we are also going to cover the larger picture of properly preparing food – meal planning, grocery shopping, reading labels, product storage, etc. You will learn about the medicinal and healing aspects of food, delicious substitutions, a basic kitchen setup to improve your time in the kitchen, portion size vs. calorie density (while still becoming full after a meal), and using food as a medicinal fuel source while enjoying it in a social setting.
- 5. Supplementation – Some might argue the food supply in North America is better than in a lot of other areas of the world… yet, we still struggle with providing our bodies with all of the nutrients and basic building blocks needed to obtain vibrant health goals, recover from chronic and acute health issues, and maintain optimum performance. Food politics aside, our food supply isn’t what it used to be due to overuse of pesticides and erosion of topsoil thus demineralizing our crops today. Frankly, we are overfed, yet undernourished. We are going to work with you to create a specific dietary supplementation regimen based on your nutrient deficiencies and ailments with the intent of increasing digestion efficiency, nutrient assimilation, and boosting your immune system. This will be achieved by introducing a variety of superfoods, multivitamins, and healing herbs. We’ve also done all the legwork to identify the highest quality/best priced vendors for these various supplements (conveniently available in the Vibrant Method Amazon store!) to simplify the task of putting this new regime together. Having worked with several of these brands, we stand by our recommendations based on clinical research and studies, formulation philosophy, and visibility into their pristine sources and manufacturing practices. We also commit to never recommending controversial supplements or dangerously high doses…this is an aid to a holistic approach to improving your health – not risking it!
- 6. Movement – Stress, sedentary habits, overwork, and lots of high-pressure thinking creates tension in the body, which can lead to chronic aches, inflammation, and digestive issues, to name a few. Incorporating the correct amounts and types of exercise are a key element of what our bodies crave to operate at optimum levels. Lack of movement isn’t an option. Our bodies are designed to move, yet our immobile lifestyle seems to dominate the majority of our days. We will work with you to design the correct way to begin, or improve, your current activity levels. We encourage clients to begin gentle, low-risk exercise changes such as brisk walking, certain forms of yoga, and low-impact cardio. This will be an evolving plan – as you become comfortable at one level, we are going to work with you on how to expand that in a safe, effective way. You will end up with a regular exercise program that suits your schedule, lifestyle, body type, and is ultimately enjoyable.
- 7. Contemplation & Relationships – Just trying to address your quality of health through food, exercise, and supplementation may work for some period of time – but we are the sum of all of our parts. There is another main component to our overall health – things such as your career, relationships, spirituality…in other words…how does your heart feel during the day? If you’re struggling in areas like this, it can and will have a direct impact on your overall healthiness. Holistic Health Coaching takes the whole body and mind into consideration. We will work with you to understand the other primary sources of nourishment – interactions with your primary relationships, other people and social events, incorporating new sources of learning and positive change in your world, understanding and learning methods of stress-relieving self-reflection, and even experiencing nature in a different way. We do not advise you to adopt or change religious affiliation. Rather, we help you develop a plan on how to improve all the areas that could really be considered as additional “primary foods” – all the non-food sources with which we replenish our heart and soul.